This afternoon I took time off to mess around – I mean, try out the equipment in my brother’s home studio. I should explain first that my brother and his wife (both musicians) are currently based in another country, but that they – especially he – regularly come back to their house. Before they left a few weeks ago, my sister-in-law, who also happens to be my bandmate, talked me through the jungle of wires, dials, microphones, speakers, and other recording stuff while I took down notes. Anyway, I was really psyched this week because my schedule’s been pretty loose and I decided that today would be THE day.
It turned out okay, mostly. I managed to record a piano track for my latest song. But then for some reason, when I would try to play it back, no sound would come out. After unsuccessfully trying to figure it out for well over an hour, I decided to call it an afternoon, saved the GarageBand project, exported the piano track to iTunes (where it played beautifully), then transferred it to my laptop. I’ll figure it out next time.